Friday 12 September 2008

Chapter 1

Hello!

So I arrived in Kenya last wednesday, I'm staying with Jo and Jon at the moment until I find somewhere to live. God seems to have created a bit of an opportunity in that the youth leader at Jo and Jon's church needs a flat mate for a month or so, I gladly stepped up to the plate and I'm moving in with her on the 21st.

It's pretty ace to be back in Kenya, been down to Kibera a few times, catching up with the staff and the kids, heard a lot about the camps that I missed this summer and I've caught up on all thats been going on with the Microfinance scheme.

As you enter Kibera theres a lady called Margeret who set up a business selling mkate na maziwa (bread and milk) with her loan from TPFP. When I left last year she just had a stool to sit on and an upturned box to store her food on. Now she has recieved her second loan and has a whole structure to protect her products from the sun and rain and even a nifty shelf on the front for two layered presentation. Its well encouraging to see the businesses growing.

Ninajifunza kiswahili, that means I'm learning Kiswahili. I have lessons for 2 hours every afternoon with Judy who is pretty jokes. I've been conjugating verbs all over the shop. I flippin love it! yesterday I came home from my lesson and managed to chat to some ladies doing some gardening in our compound for like 10 minutes all in swahili. Kenyans love it when a mzungu even tries to speak swahili.

Today I went down to Kibera by myself for the first time which was pretty exciting, met a guy called Samuel on the way down to the project and had a chat for ages (he also got a loan from TPFP), I said a few things in swahili and he presumed I was fluent. I have no idea what he said to me.

That will do for blog 1.

2 comments:

Jennie said...

Em - This is awesome. We are thinking of you and praying for you here in the graceworks camp.

Smiffy42 said...

Em, Uncle Richard here :)

Keep up the great blog, it's so good to hear it has started well. Loving the Swahili :)