Thursday 4 December 2008

Kibera Nativity

Last week was the first week of the Christmas holiday clubs. Schools have ended now for their long holiday, basically the same as English summer holiday. Everyone is getting ready to travel upcountry to their home towns and villages so in the first two weeks we sneak in a holiday club for the kids before they disappear and the project closes.

The photos are from the first week for kids aged between 7 and 12 (I think) and just before it started on the first day Jon decided to let me know I was fronting it! I didn’t have to do much, just make sure we stuck vaguely to the timetable and host it from the front, and judge dramas and memory verses of course. I was a bit daunted as there is no excuse to not use Swahili now so I had all my notes with me and fumbled my way along. This is all good practice as I’m fairly sure Jo and Jon won’t be around for summer camps next year so I need to know what I’m doing!

The week was so much fun, the staff are hilarious as they are each put with a team of kids to compete for the week and they get really into it. On Wednesday Pastor had to visit the farm but he phoned up at lunch time to check the scores, Moses had him on speaker phone and all the staff were winding each other up, so funny.

It has been so good to spend more time with the kids as they are usually at school so I don’t see them at all or they are busy in their classes at Turning Point so I shouldn’t bother them. During the clubs there is time to sit and do colouring with them, eat lunch with them and do ridiculous games with them. We spent like an hour playing a game where they had to chuck a spoonful of water at candles to blow them out. They were rubbish at it so it took ages! Good times.

No comments: