Monday 4 January 2010

Christmas thinking

Its a little late but apparently some celebrate Christmas at the end of the 12 days so here are some Christmas related thoughts (quickly before we get to the 12 drummers drumming) from Viv Grigg whose book I have been enjoying...

'Two thousand years ago a seed fell from the sower's hand from heaven to earth. The God of eternity now inhabited humanity in the cry of a child, in the frame of a manger, in the tramp of sandaled feet.

But the symphony the angels sang at Jesus' birth was tinged by the melancholy of poverty. In coming from heaven to earth, the seed did not remain at the surface among the unrealities of the rich and haughty. He buried himself in the depths of humanity. And those depths have weighed down the labouring poor for thousands of years.

The prophet Isaiah declared that God has two homes: “For thus says the high and lofty One who inhabits eternity, whose name is holy: I dwell in the high and lofty place, and also with him who is of a contrite and humble-spirit” (Isaiah 57:15)

Two homes, two addresses: eternity and poverty.'

5 comments:

kari said...

that is simply too beautiful and a wonderful way to look at it. at this time of year this excerpt brings me peace! thanks for sharing. PERFECT time to post!!

Sue said...

A very deep and meaningful start to the New Year. You are where God started!

On a lighter note, have changed my name to Sue (although I am still your Mum!) as I didn't want to adopt everyone whose blog I comment on!!!!!!!!

lots of love, Mum!xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Papa Bear said...

yes some lovely words and thoughts - preach it sister well I know your my daughter but.......

Love Dad :-) XX

ordinary gal said...

Sweet Em. What's the book?Why do I know the name?

Em Schmee said...

The quote is from Viv Grigg's book 'companion to the poor'. Its really good, I recommend. I wouldn't have come up with anything like that myself!