Tuesday 10 February 2009

I predict a riot

On Sunday I went with a friend to watch some Kenyan football. Nairobi City stars took on the AFC Leopards at the World Hope stadium. I can’t share with you the final score because the game never actually ended (although NCS were 1-0 up). The fence that surrounds the pitch was broken down by some over excited fans who stormed the pitch and the whole thing descended into a riot. Plastic chairs were flying through the air and the police got their sticks out.

Up until that point the crowd had been fairly rowdy but well natured although there were all sorts of drugs going on and a lot of changaa being handed round so a large proportion of the crowd were off their faces. A fair few people had tried to nick my phone from my pocket in the crowd but it was easy enough to stick my hand in my pocket to protect it and shove an elbow in the belly of whoever it was. But when it all kicked off no one cared what they were doing so maybe six guys surrounded me and went for my pockets, they were all grabbing away until they realised they had taken everything then they left me alone. So I survived my first mugging! It took a while for the gates to be opened for us all to get out and we had to make a fairly speedy exit but we escaped onto a no.46 matatu and all was well.

It was a little scary but I learnt some helpful lessons and being mugged is nowhere near as scary as it sounds so we were praising God that we could walk away laughing about the excitement and nothing too nasty happened. Parents, I don’t mean to freak you out but I’m enjoying having an exciting story to tell!

7 comments:

Alio Santos said...

Hey Em, glad your getting into football violence. I pretty much grew up on the stuff. My highlight was being at a game when the police decided to charge onto the pitch on horses to break up the riot. Another highlight was nearly getting caught in the middle of a chelsea mob with knives and bottles charging at some manutd fans. Its all fun. Glad you survived it. Get yourself some DMs and a skin head and you'll fit right in.

Sue said...

I'm not sure I'm as pleased as you about having some exciting news to tell, but extremely thankful that you're OK and can laugh about it!!!!!!! Love you loads and try not to start any more ruccusses (?) when you next go out!!!!!!
love Mum xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Lucy Keys said...

emily emily.. whats all the commotion? Dear me. I am glad you are ok and everything.. You certainly have been having some 'real missionary' experiences.. save it for the book eh? xx

Beki said...

Ahhh how crazy...! You're hilarious em! Big love
xx

Anonymous said...

There must be an opportunity here for mug-proof clothing - we will get Richard on the case, he is our entrepreneur!
Take very good care of yourself Deborah xx

Smiffy42 said...

Mug Proof Clothing eh???

I could send you over a pair of my lucky pants? That should make you pretty "mug proof" I reckon!

That football match sounded like some of the games I went to in the 80's over here. Look after yourself Em and keep the "posting" going. Love Uncle Rich (or Unky Dunky to some :) )

mumsfriend said...

Had to log in to read the latest after yr Mum came into school with grey hair last week!She was laughing (perhaps a little hysterically!?) while telling the mugging story.She appears to be counting down, not sure what..... must be the days till yr visit home.
Love and prayers
Louise x