Saturday 7 February 2009

Return of Pevs

I should give an update on Aggrey, thanks for praying for him God is really turning things round for him. He has managed to get a bit of support to start making soap and from there he has started a small printing business. I think he had a printing business in the past so he has links with printers and things. With this new income he is planning ahead to start renting his own place in Kibera to escape his nightmare aunt and hopefully then his daughter Candy can come live with him.

He has said to me a couple of times now that God has worked through our home group to encourage him and pick him up. The body of Christ is functioning as it should. He is so much more positive these days and he seems stronger and more active every time I see him which is amazing.

This week Aggrey and I went to take pictures of all the kids at a school in Kibera so he could make student ID for them. This school has given Aggrey a contract to print a few different things for them so he wanted to do a good job for them and the other photographers he had used did a rubbish job. So I became school photographer for an afternoon.

To get to the school we drove all the way through Kibera, which was a really bad idea – the car got so wrecked! But I had to follow Aggrey’s instructions as I didn’t know where we were going. In future we should drive around the slum to get there. Anyway, I didn’t recognise the school when I was there but as we were leaving we drove out of Kibera using the same road we used back in 2003 when we came with Soapbox. I was explaining this to Aggrey and said we had worked with a guy called Pastor Evans to which Aggrey said ‘yeah that’s Pastor Evans school we were just at!’. It looks totally different to when we were there, don’t know if they were the same buildings we built but I went back through the photos of all the kids to see if I recognised any of them. There was only one I recognised…Her name is Pamela, I remember because we used to call her Pamela face-like-a-skull although its not so skull like these days! If she was 11 when we were there then she would be secondary school age so this may well be her.

No sign of Pev's and his A-team shades though, that would have been special.

1 comment:

Sue said...

Wasn't there a fire in the slum shortly after you were there and the school damaged - maybe I'm remembering wrong but that could be why it looks different?????
You'll have to look in the mag you made to see if you recognise any other children although I'm sure they've all changed a lot.

If you get mainly girls at the art club, maybe they could make up some fashions out of scraps of materials on paper - its something Heidi's been doing at school in art.

I could ask if she has any ideas,

love u, Mum xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx