Tuesday 25 May 2010

Fort Jesus

It has been nearly two weeks since I moved to the edge of Kibera, nearly halfway through the month and its going too fast! I'm learning so much about everyday life in Kibera that until this point I had not realised. Things like how much more time and effort everyday chores take; if you want a warm shower you have to heat the water first, same for washing dishes. Without a fridge to keep food and milk cold you have to go to the market daily. I've realised that you must share your house with rats and mice whether you like it or not and that most people are up and getting on with their day (noisily) by 5:30am.


I'm also experiencing the way people share their things. Phone chargers, water heaters, buckets and brooms, food, sweets, toys, stuff is always circulating round. I say 'experiencing' because half my stuff is now also in circulation and I've borrowed things from I think all of my neighbours now!

I'm really enjoying thinking about what I have in a more communal way, I've not bought food for one the whole time I've been there, even if I just want a banana, I get a few and share them with the kids. And likewise when the kids come home from school with some popcorn, I get a share.

I should say that where I'm staying is not in Kibera proper, I'm in an estate called Fort Jesus which runs next to Kibera but most outsiders would consider it part of the slum. So my house is not mud and iron sheeting, its concrete with windows. And my neighbours are doing well compared to people from deep in the slum. The kids around my house are much better off than those who come to Turning Point.

3 comments:

Papa Bear said...

Hi Ems, really enjoying the Fort Jesus blogs, keep leaning, love Dad

Em Schmee said...

Thanks Dad, love you

Sue said...

It sounds like real community and you're fitting in well. Love you loads, Mum x