Wednesday 12 May 2010

Moving house

I have not blogged for a while as I spent some time at home and on holiday in India but now I'm back in Kenya and ready to take the next step on the road of whatever the heck God is up to with me.


Before I first moved to Kenya, as I prayed, read the bible and books by people who have been obedient to Jesus' sometimes crazy leading, I was pretty challenged by the idea of living actually in Kibera rather than just visiting each day for work. But at the time it was decided, quite rightly, that it wasn't a very wise idea as I had no clue about Kenyan culture and language etc.

The challenge has not gone away and I keep finding more and more reasons why it would be awesome to live amongst the community that God has made me to love. Over christmas paricularly I spent some time seeking God and got really excited about the idea of staying in Kibera, I had dreams of playing worship music really loud and jumping around praising God together with my friends in Kibera.

So I started to explore the idea with Jo and Jon, I had to get permission from the Trustees and they asked for the Kenyan staff's thoughts on it. Also over christmas a friend in Kibera said I should come and stay for a while, pretty sure he was joking, but now I'm moving in to the room next door to him this afternoon.

I'm not totally sure why I am going, its a bit of an experiment just to see what its like and where it could lead. A verse that communicates a bit of why is I Thessaloneans 2:8 it says 'we loved you so much that we were delighted to share with you not only the gospel of God but our lives as well, because you had become so dear to us.'

I want to share more of my life with people in Kibera, to have more opportunities to build friendships, to chat and pray and worship together. I want to try to step out of my mzungu status and understand more of what life is like. I want to be vulnerable and to need people's help rather than always the person whose opinion is listened to because they are seen to have all the money!

I have plenty of reasons that I want to go but I'm still praying about what God wants this time to look like, what is significant and such. A song I keep listening to says 'Our God saves, there is hope in His name, mourning turns to songs of praise, our God saves.' I have a sense that worshipping God during this time will be important and significant. But I don't really know, I'm just fumbling my way along, so please pray! And pray for joy because the joy of the Lord is my strength (and my favourite fruit of spirit). This is a fairly big challenge and I'm really scared but I know that God is so faithful and I've already seen Him going before me.

Thank you so much for praying, its so so good to know I'm not on my own but there are other people standing with me in prayer. I cannot wait to share with you the stories of what God does!

1 comment:

deb said...

And we are eager to read those upcoming stories!